Chicago Prescription Drug Fraud Attorney
While there is no doubt that prescription drugs play an important role in our health and well-being, they can also be highly-addictive and dangerous. Prescription drug usage, therefore, must be carefully monitored to avoid dependence or addiction and the potential for abuse and fraud that can sometimes result from these situations. It's important to understand that, despite the addictive qualities of legally-obtained and doctor-prescribed drugs, prescription drug fraud is a serious crime with serious consequences, including incarceration. If you or someone you know is a suspect in or has been charged with prescription drug fraud in Chicago, it is crucial that you obtain immediate legal assistance from an experienced prescription drug crime defense attorney in Chicago, Illinois. At the Law Offices of Michael P. Schmiege, the legal team has extensive experience in prescription drug fraud cases in Chicago, Evanston and Cicero.
About Prescription Drug Fraud Charges in Chicago
One of the biggest factors of prescription drug fraud is abuse of and addiction to prescription drugs, which is a growing problem that affects people from all ages, all education levels and socioeconomic backgrounds. Arrests for prescription drug fraud and other drug offenses occur in all walks of life, all across the United States, including high-profile public figures like Rush Limbaugh and the daughter of Florida Governor Jeb Bush.
Some common forms of prescription drug fraud can include:
- Altering existing prescriptions;
- Forging prescriptions;
- Impersonating medical staff to call in prescriptions; and
- Stealing blank prescription forms.
Prescription drugs that are commonly abused include:
- Opioids (prescribed to treat pain): which include codeine, oxycodone, oxycontin, Percocet, morphine, Lortab, Vicodin;
- Central nervous system (CNS) depressants (prescribed to treat anxiety and sleep disorders): which include barbiturates, Valium, Xanax, clonazepam;
- CNS stimulants (prescribed to treat the sleep disorder narcolepsy, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and obesity): dextroamphetamine, Ritalin, Phentermine;.
- Non opioid pain killers, such as vioxx, oxycodone, oxycontin, Lortab or Vicodin.
Contact a Chicago prescription fraud attorney today!
It's important to understand that addiction, while a serious medical condition and for many a debilitating disease, is not a valid defense against prescription drug fraud. Depending on your situation, however, there may be alternative programs and options that take into account your condition and can allow you to get the help you need. Don't wait, even if your case was rejected by another lawyer. The immediate intervention of an experienced prescription drug fraud attorney can benefit your case. The prescription drug fraud lawyers at the Law Offices of Michael P. Schmiege are experienced litigators understand and appreciate your situation. Attorneys from the firm will provide a vigorous defense of your individual and constitutional rights, whether this means negotiating with police or prosecutors or taking your case to court.
Contact a Chicago prescription fraud lawyer from the Law Offices of Michael P. Schmiege today.